I am in love with Tim Tams, y’all.
Now, I haven’t had a real one yet, but I have watched my fair share of Tim Tam Slam videos on YouTube to know that these would probably change my life for the better.
That sounds a bit crazy. Oh well; judge me. I’m totally ok with it. Y’all who have been blessed with trying one are sure to understand.
So for those of you who don’t know what Tim Tams are, they are an Australian cookie that is made of up two malted shortbread-like cookies filled with chocolate malt whipped frosting, then completely enrobed in melted chocolate.
Kiddos + Chocolate Malt-flavored cookies = Happier Kiddos
Here we go.
Homemade “Tim Tams”
– 1 box Lorna Doone shortbread cookies
– 1 pint heavy whipping cream
– 5 Tablespoons Malted Milk Powder
– 2 bags semi-sweet chocolate chips
– 2 Tablespoons coconut oil (optional)
1. Lay out shortbread cookies onto a parchment lined baking sheet, emblem side up.
2. Pour whipping cream into a large micro-wave safe measuring cup and heat for 1-2 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
3. Add 3 Tablespoons Malted Milk Powder into hot cream and stir until dissolved.
4. Pour 1 bag chocolate chips into hot malted cream and let sit for 1 minute, then stir until smooth to complete ganache.
5. Place melted chocolate ganache, as well as a metal mixer bowl and whisk attachment I to the fridge for 1 hour or until chocolate is thick like frosting.
6. Pour ganache into chilled mixer bowl and whip using chilled whisk attachment in a stand mixer for 2-3 minutes or until ultra thick and can hold a stiff peak.
7. Spoon or pipe a dollop of whipped ganache onto one cookie and sandwich using another cookie emblem side down (you want both smooth sides of the cookie to be face OUT). Continue until all cookies are sandwiched.
8. Chill cookies in freezer while making chocolate glaze.
9. In a deep microwave safe container, melt remaining bag of chocolate chips.
10. Stir in remaining 2 Tablespoons malted milk powder until smooth. If necessary, add in a tablespoon or two of coconut oil to get a thinner consistency. You want only a light coating of chocolate.
11. Submerge sandwich cookies in chocolate glaze and tap off excess, then set on a cooling rack over a baking sheet.
12. Chill cookies until serving. Serve with black coffee for an extra treat and dip each bite in the hot drink before devouring.
If any of you have tried one of these delicious cookies for real, please leave me a comment, and if you’ve found them in the US anywhere, LET ME KNOW!!!! I will love you forever. Seriously.
If you love Tim Tams, or even just the idea of them like me, “like” this post or leave me a comment and/or picture on Instagram with #thedessertproject