Y’all, you know that I have to give credit where credit is due and boy does Donna Hay know what she’s doing!
I saw this recipe on Pinterest and immediately knew I had to replicate the Australian best-seller’s recipe The Dessert Project way. If you love to make treats from scratch, though, please check out the original recipe here, it’s truly divine!
Caramel Crisp Brownies
– 1 8×8 brownie mix, prepared per directions
– 1 bag caramel bits
– 2 cups crisp rice cereal
– 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chip
– 1 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare and bake brownie mix per package directions, but be sure to line your baking pan with parchment paper with overlapping panels. This is necessary to getting the sticky bars out when finished!
3. Once brownies are done baking, set off to the side to cool and melt you your caramel per package directions.
4. Stir in crisp rice cereal until fully coated, then pour caramel crisp mixture over brownie and smooth into an even layer.
5. Heat heavy cream in the microwave for about 2 minutes or until hot and small bubbles form.
6. Pour chocolate chips into a mixing bowl and top with hot cream. Let sit one minute, then stir until completely smooth, about 2 minutes.
7. Pour molten chocolate onto caramel layer, then place the whole pan into the refrigerator to set. This should take at least 1 hour, but can be left over night to develop flavors.
8. Once set and ready to serve, lift Caramel Crisp Brownies out of the pan by the parchment “flaps”. Carefully peel off all parchment.
9. Using a sharp knife dipped into hot water, slice brownies into squares. I chose to cut into 16 squares, but you can go larger or smaller depending on your crowd.
These brownies are sure to please everyone at your next event or just knock the socks off your loved ones as a delicious surprise!
If you love caramel and chocolate combinations, “like” this post and don’t forget to make them at home and send me a comment with how they turned out; or better yet, snap a pic and post it on Instagram with #thedessertproject caption!