Happy 4th of July!
To celebrate America’s Birthday, I made these cute flag cookies
Although time consuming, these cookies weren’t too hard with my newfound love for bag sugar cookie mix!
– 3 bags sugar cookie mix, prepared to bag directions
– Red and Blue gel food dye
1. Make all three batches of cookie dough, coloring one red and one blue at the end of the mixing process. Make sure you make each bag mix separately to make this process much easier.
2. Wrap each batch of colored cookie dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
3. Split your red dough into 5 pieces, white dough into 4, and shape the blue into a square-shaped log.
4. Start by rolling out 2 flat, rectangular sheet of red and white dough, roughly the same size.
5. Begin layering your cookie dough as follows (you will be building from the bottom up): Red, White, Red, White
6. Set your blue square log on the left side of your striped cookie dough stack.
7. Roll out your remaining red and white chunks of dough to rectangles that are half the size of your original layers.
8. Layer these pieces next to the blue log as follows: red, white, red, white, red
9. Wrap the cookie stack in plastic wrap and press the cookie dough together to compact and seal the layers.
– Preheat your oven to 375 now!
10. Place cookie dough in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm.
11. Cut slices out of your dough and place about 2 inches apart.
12. Bake for 6 minutes.
13. Let cool on the pan for 10 minutes and then on a cooling rack until completely cool.
Note: if you have extra dough from trimming or the like, knead the scraps together to make these cool tie-dye/splatter cookies!
These cookies are sweet and festive for your 4th of July party!
If you love sugar cookies and flags, “like” this post. Make sure to share your photos with me too!