It is getting to that point in the year where so many amazing fruits are in season. Choosing the dessert this week became a quick no-brainer that it would feature a fruit, but I had a hard time choosing just one.
Thinking a trip to the farmers market would help me narrow down my selection resulted in me ogling tangelos, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, nectarines, etc. not to mention that I needed a dessert that anyone could make, not just us who live in a year-round growing climate.
So this week I bring to you a recipe that allows you to choose your favorite filling that takes 30 minutes max and only has 4 ingredients!
modified from Raining Hot Coupons
– 1 box yellow cake mix
– 2 cups oats
– 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) butter, melted
– 1 can pie filling OR 1 cup cut fresh fruit mixed with 2 Tbsp. Sugar and set for 1 hour (I used fresh strawberries)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a glass 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oats, and melted butter. Mix until no dry ingredients remain.
3. Press half (or slightly more) of the oat mix into the bottom of the prepared pan.
4. Pour pie filling or fruit onto crust and spread evenly.
5. Spread remaining oat mix onto filling.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Cool for 30 minutes in the refrigerator, then scoop out over ice cream (like this Brambleberry Crisp from Jeni’s)
This recipe would be delicious with blueberries, blackberries, peaches, cherries, or apple fillings as well.
Try this recipe out and let us know how you like it in the comment section! Or take a photo and share that with us as well!